Emphasis: Event Planning, Tourism and Commercial Recreation
SFSU Department of Recreation, Parks and Tourism
An exciting and dynamic studys area within Event Planning, Tourism and Commercial Recreation emphasis is: Event Planning. By taking elective classes in Event Planning specialized area you will learn about the types of events in the industry, conference and event providers, the roles of event planners and managers as well as the skills needed to be a successful event planner or supplier.
The event, conference and meetings industry is growing and there are good job opportunities. A recent survey by the consulting firm Frost & Sullivan estimated that the meetings and events industry accounted for a total of $565 billion globally in 2012. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimated the number of event and meeting planner jobs will grow more rapidly than the overall job market.
Students seeking a B.S. in Recreation, Parks and Tourism Administration with a specialization area of Event Planning, in the emphasis of Event Planning, Tourism and Commercial Recreation are highly recommended to complete the following two classes:
RPT 340 Conference, Event Planning and Management
The organizing, planning, and managing conferences, conventions, and special events: site and faculty selection, scheduling, programming and theme development, exhibit management, registration, and over-all meeting services.
RPT 670 Advanced Conference and Event Planning and Management
The application of advanced techniques for planning and managing conventions, trade shows, festivals, expositions, and other special events. Event strategic planning and marketing, ROI, and risk management. This course is offered as RPT 670 and HTM 670.
About Event and Conference Planning:
TYPES OF EVENTS
- Corporate Events- Conferences, trade shows, meetings, training
- Private Events – Weddings, reunions, parties
- Community Events- Festivals, fairs, reunions, celebrations
- Sports Events – Professional sports, amateur sports tournaments
- Government/Civic Events – Parades, marches, grand openings
- Cause Related Events- Fund raisers, shows, contests, marathons
TYPES OF PROVIDERS
- Independent Meeting and Event Planners
- Destination Management Companies (DMC)
- Travel, Convention and Visitors Bureaus
Facilities and Venues
- Resorts, hotels, convention centers
Event Management Companies
- Entertainment and Recreation
- Audio Visuals
- Floral and decoration
TYPES OF JOBS AND SERVICES
- Logistics Planning
- Transportation Planning
- Site Analysis/Eval.
- Vendor and venue selection
- Vendor negotiation
- Entertainment selection
- Budget creation/mgnt.
- Script writing
- Theme Development
- Event Management
- Menu/provider planning and selection
- On-site program management
- Speaker support
- Pre & post tours