The program accepts a limited number of highly qualified applicants for the fall semester of each year. Applications for fall semester are accepted between October 1 and May 1. Don't put off your application! We admit qualified students into the program as we receive the applications (rolling admission).
- An earned undergraduate degree in recreation, parks, tourism, or a closely related degree; or at least one year of full-time professional work experience in the profession. Students who otherwise qualify but lack a related degree and/or need supplemental background information will be given additional readings and assignments due by the end of the fall semester Foundations course.
- A minimum of a 3.0 GPA in a baccalaureate degree or for the last 60 semester units (90 quarter units) of undergraduate work (or over your entire bachelors or previous masters degree).
Please go to Cal State Apply to apply online.
Your application will require the following
- Transcripts of all academic work
- Statement of purpose
- Current resume
- GRE Analytical writing score (the code for submitting scores to SF State is 4684)
- 3 letters of recommendation (at least one must be an academic and one a professional reference, may be submitted as an email attachment from the referee to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- All international students will be required to achieve a minimum score of 80 out of 120 on the internet-based TOEFL (IBT) exam or equivalent or 7 on IELTS exam.
For more information about the application process go to the admission FAQs.
For Further Information, Contact:
Dr. Jackson Wilson, Graduate Coordinator
Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue San Francisco, CA 94132