The Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism (RPT), in existence since 1946, offers the following:
- Bachelor of Science in Recreation, Parks & Tourism Administration
- Master of Science in Recreation, Parks & Tourism
- Minor in Recreation
- RPT courses that satisfy General Education (GE)
A world where leisure permeates all facets of life.
To advance and advocate for the recreation, parks, and tourism field through transformative education, scholarship, and service.
We believe in engineering experiences that engage, empower, and educate.
The experiential curriculum focuses on the following nine competencies:
- Communication (professional, nonverbal, verbal)
- Foundations (philosophy, history, science)
- Information Technology (application, research, reporting)
- Leadership (ethics, interpersonal, interpersonal)
- Management & Administration (finance, human capital, structures)
- Programming (design, implementation, evaluation)
- Profession & Industry (nature/scope, principles/practices, trends/issues)
- Sustainability (economics, environment, equity)
- Wellness (dimensions, application, assessment)
For more information regarding specific program and student learning outcomes for each competency and their associated course(s): rpt.sfsu.edu/competencies
The experiential curriculum is based on the following:
- National accreditation standards, current trends, and research
- Comprehensive feedback from students, alumni, and an advisory board of RPT professionals
- Distinguished faculty with extensive knowledge and experience in teaching, research, and service
- The diversity and vitality of the San Francisco Bay Area as a hands-on classroom and living laboratory
- Current and relevant content in the areas of for-profit, non-profit, and public recreation; local, state, and national parks; and domestic and international tourism.
The overall purpose of the curriculum is to prepare students to . . .
Engineer Experiences that Engage, Empower, and Educate